Marriage Relief

Since 6 April 2015, it has been possible for you to transfer £1,190 of your annual personal allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner if they earn more than you do. This is a relief which is not being made the most of by a number of people but is worth a tax reduction of up to £238 per year.

For this relief to be available, you (as the lower earner) must have a gross income of £11,850 or less, and your partner’s income must be between £11,850 and £46,350. In addition, a claim can be backdated to the 2015/16 tax year.

Bride and GroomIf your partner has died since 5 April 2015, you will still be able to claim via the Income Tax Helpline. If you or your partner were born before 6 April 1935 you might benefit more as a couple by applying for Married Couple’s Allowance instead.

If you feel you may be entitled to this relief then please contact us to arrange a claim. It will need to be by a telephone call to the tax office by the person with the lower income.